Sunday, November 16, 2008

How we met, Eugene Edition

Like Tabby, I’ve never had the best luck with relationships. Something has always seemed to get in the way of meeting that someone. Between college and being deployed with the guard, for eight years, I was always somewhere, but somewhere never led me to someone. I moved back home after college and living with your parents doesn’t impress the girls, but commuting to Charleston for a part-time job with the guard didn’t leave me a lot of time to apartment hunt. Then, a friend needed a roommate in Charleston and I took him up on it immediately. A few weeks later, a full-time position with the guard opened up. I had to work midnights, but it was a full-time job and I took it.

I figured that things were working this way for a reason, so I certainly didn’t question. While I was happy that I finally that I got to have a semi-normal life, I thought I was having some health issues. I wasn't and I was fine, but it scared me enough to make me realize that I wanted someone to laugh with, to cook with, and to love me as much as I would love them.

I was working midnights and I worked with all men, so meeting ladies wasn’t that easy. My roommate’s girlfriend had tried Match.com before, so I decided to give it a try. I emailed several girls, but Tabitha was the only one who forcibly made me reply. I figured she would stop emailing at some point, like all the others, but she didn’t. So emailing led to instant messaging, and that led to phone calls. Phone calls led to meeting where I was sure she was going to cut me up and serve me for dinner. I mean what kind of person meets those weirdos online…..oh yeah, never mind, but instead there was this girl. This silly, fun, loving girl I couldn’t resist and I feel in love.

Everything hasn’t been perfect and it took me awhile to realize that not everything should be perfect. I have had my apprehensions, but she is as crazy as me for goodness sakes and I realize I belong with this butthead. Really, we would make two other people miserable. Instead of that, we are just going make each other miserable, um, I mean happy, (but I really mean miserable) for the rest of our lives. At least that is what she tells me to say.

No comments: